Today I wanted to make from scratch a Banana cream pie to dedicate to my Grandfather who past before I was born. So my mom said his favorite dessert was a Banana Cream Pie or a Lemon Meringue. I never made a classic Banana Cream Pie so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to honor Robert Warren Baker.
“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.” —Dalai Lama
Cookie Crust (ran out of graham crackers- I live in UK so not that convenient to get a hold of):
- I made about 2 cups of crumbs of of cookies- nice biscuits, vanilla wafers, and graham crackers.
- three tablespoons of melted butter
- Pre-heat oven to 325
- Make fine crumbs of the cookies
- Add melted butter
- Mix all together
- Press into a pie pan
- Bake 10-15 minutes until brown
- let cool
- place in fridge until ready to use
Whipped Cream Topping
- cartoon of double cream
- icing sugar (optional -to taste)
- pinch of salt (brings out flavor)
- Place double cream, blades for blender, and metal mixing bowl in the fridge to chill (The colder the cream is, the easier it is to whip)
- Once chilled place all in mixing bowl (Sweeten the cream with your sugar of choice. Add a pinch of salt to bring out the cream’s rich flavor and contrast with the sugar. Use a spoon or whisk to stir the mixture well.)
- Whisk the cream.Whip as quickly as possible to help air change the consistency of the cream from a heavy liquid into a light, fluffy substance.
- The first change you’ll notice is that the whisk or beaters will begin to leave drag marks in the cream, indicating that it has become more solid in texture. Continue whipping until you can lift the whisk or beaters from the cream and leave semi-stiff peaks in their wake.
- Don’t over whip could separate or even turn into butter.
Vanilla Pudding Filling
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar (150 g)
- 1/2 cup flour or 5/8 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy bottom pan mix the sugar and eggs together.
- Sift the flour or cornstarch into the egg mixture, then add the milk and mix until smooth.
- Put on the heat and whisking constantly to prevent curdling.
- When it boils, whisk mixture constantly for another minute until it becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and immediately whisk in the vanilla extract, then cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming.
- Cool in fridge until completely cool.
Will need 2 bananas
- slice bananas on the pie crust
- place pudding over bananas
- top with the whipped cream
- grate some chocolate over top (optional)