Wanted to try a vegetarian chilli that uses firm tofu and replace the usual kidney beans with white beans instead. It was something I experimented with and turned out to be really easy to do. It provides three good servings and is a nice warm healthy meal.
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.”
– Marcel Proust
Despite their small size, beans pack a surprisingly rich and varied array of substances that are vital for good health. White beans have a number of detoxifying enzymes, including aldehyde oxidase and sulfite oxidase. White beans are considered a low GI food. White beans and other foods with a low glycemic score also offer extraordinary weight loss benefits.White beans deliver a hefty supply of antioxidants, substances that fight off disease and help maintain optimum health.In addition to fighting wrinkles by providing skin-protecting antioxidants, white beans provide zinc, copper, and protein which can also help fight premature wrinkling of the skin.
All soya products, such as tofu and soy milk, are complete proteins. They contain all the essential amino acids plus several other nutrients. So combining tofu with the beans in the chilli complete a well balance meal.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 cartoon of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 can of haricot (navy) beans
- Remove tofu from packaging drain and press out all excess water
- Crumble/chop tofu into bits
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic,cook until transparent.
- Add the remaining ingredients (including the crumbled tofu) and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors have melded, about 30 minutes
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve
- Can garnish with creme fraiche, sour cream, cheese, or pair with some rice, potatoes, quinoa, vegetables, etc,