So after Thanksgiving I can imagine many of us with lots of leftovers especially turkey- hence what do we do with it…? A turkey chilli, it is a simple easy recipe I put together after my mom gave me a lot of turkey to take back to University.
It is super easy as the meat is already cooked, all you have to do is let all the flavours blend together. I took the basic chilli recipe, just instead I used turkey instead of beef and you will put in the turkey in at the end because it doesn’t need to cook, just needs to simmer with your base. This healthy dinner is so filling and can pair great with your vegetables and you can alter it to your taste; add more chilli flakes, put different types of beans, can use sweetcorn or peas, etc.
Makes 3 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Chopped Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Chilli Flakes (to taste)
- mixed herbs
- maggi liquid seasoning
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 box of chopped tomatoes
- leftover turkey
- Heat oil in a large saucepan
- Add the onions and garlic, then sauté until onions are golden
- Combine in your desire spices ( chilli flakes and mixed herbs)
- Now place in the box of italian chopped tomatoes and kidney beans
- I like to add some water in so there is a nice base for the turkey to simmer in (can add tomato puree if gets too watery for you)
- Then include in the shredded turkey, lower the heat and let all the flavours blend together
- Once it has thicken up and without a doubt taste nice, turn off and serve away.
Pair with your favourite grains, vegetables, potatoes, etc.
It is a great meal for University as didn’t require much time in the kitchen and it provided a nice nutritious meal with leftovers or share with flatmates, it is a great crowd pleasure that won’t break the bank.