- 8 oz pasta, any shape
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cups shredded cheese (i.e cheddar, monterey jack, or colby)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- (Can add peas, corn, etc. to enhance the dish if you desire)
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside. ( I added butter to the pasta to prevent sticking together whilst I make the sauce)
- For the sauce I start by warming 1/2 cup of the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Constantly whisking Then with the remaining ½ cup of milk add the flour until fully incorporated.
- When you begin to see steam rising from the milk, whisk in the milk-and-flour mixture. Continue whisking until the milk thickens slightly (3-4 minutes).
- Turning down the heat and add the shredded cheese into the milk.
- Stir in the salt (only if needed) and adjust seasoning as desired
- Continue to stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Finally combine the pasta and cheese sauce. Stir to coat the pasta evenly.
- Serve the mac and cheese immediately while still warm.