Some think at university eating healthy is hard, and at times it does get very hard to maintain healthy eating especially during exam time, but I keep telling myself that got to stay healthy in order to do the best in my exams. I’ve been always wanting to make the cauliflower crust pizza, but a lot of the recipes i found used a lot of cheese not only in the topping but in the base as well and I did not want that much in my recipe. So i played around, trying to keep it as fresh, healthy, and simple as possible. It makes one large pizza (just for yourself as a meal or two small portions). Once you have the crust done the topping is completely up to your desire. If you fancy keeping it vegetarian can load it up with loads of your favourite vegetables or if you want to make it a nice protein dense meal add some cooked shredded chicken. I always like to pack down my iron and add spinach to it. But truly this is to whatever long time craving you’ve been having for pizza make it with pepperoni, pineapple and ham, bbq style,… the list is endless. Just play around with it. And What is great about this recipe is that for me it was better than a greasy takeout pizza, but one thing if you’re not a fan of cauliflower I do not recommend this recipes. I really haven’t found anything easier than combining these four ingredients. Yes I said it only four ingredients, I think it works out cheaper than takeout so come on try it.
Ingredients (For the Crust)
- 250 g Cauliflower
- 1 Egg
- 100 g low fat plain yogurt
- Mixed Herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Cut up the cauliflower and then the goal is to turn it into snow like appearance, this can be done with a blender, food processor, can use cheese grater (so university students there has to be something in your kitchen that will be able to accomplish this)
- Then a quick option (so we have no excuse to not eat healthy) is put in microwave for roughly 3 minutes until cooked. If you are like a lot of people I know who do not have a microwave or want to avoid the use of microwave as much as possible, then can always just cook it on the stove for a few minutes with a little boiling water.
- Let it cool down a bit before we start to handle it.
- In a thin lining cloth or loads of paper towel we want to ring out as much of the excess water in the cauliflower. The more water we don’t press out the watery the crust.
- Once that is done mix together the remaining ingredient; combing the egg and yogurt ( you can use flaxseed if you do not wish to use egg, also this is the point can use cheese to make it all glue together, can add little flour to make it taste more like a crust, can truly play around at this point just got to make it stick together like dough).
- Add some italian herbs to give it that pizza taste.
- Voila put it on baking sheet to the desire size (one large, few small ones so people can personalise theirs, etc.,)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the wanted texture ( I know some prefer a softer crust)
- Put whatever toppings you fancy then bake for the remaining time depending on what you added to the top to warm it all up and enjoy
“Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed, it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart.” —Margo Anand
Cauliflower is known for cancer-preventing potential and antioxidant properties. Cauliflower contains many nutrients, making it an excellent addition to any diet. It has very good source of vitamin C and manganese, high amounts of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, which help decrease inflammation.
Here is a list to sum up the wonders of this vegetable:
~1. Rich in Vitamin C
~2. Improves heart health.
~3. Reduces risk of stroke.
~4. Prevents cancer.
~5. Anti Inflammatory properties
~6. Strengthens the immune system.
~7. Rich in fiber.
~8. Natural detoxified.
~9. Fat free.
Some of my creations:
What a wonderfully healthy and delicious soup! It is such a versatile recipe, you can sauté the onions and garlic, but for me as a university student I have to save time so i avoided sautéing them and just blend them all together so i omit the olive oil.
Soup nourishes the body, especially when it’s chock-full of metabolism-boosting, detoxifying nutrients like this creamy vegan broccoli soup
This warm comforting spice is a great detoxifier and cleanser for the body. Nutmeg improves both appetite and digestion.
This nutrias vegetable should be included in everyones diet on a daily basis. Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family, which studies have shown to be effective in fighting cancer. Sulphur compounds found in broccoli stimulate the production of anti -cancer enzymes which prevent the growth of tumours and inhibits the growth of existing ones.
1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
350g broccoli, chopped (use both the stems and florets)
(If you wish to sauté 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil)
100g onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
60 ml creme fraiche
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add broccoli, onions, nutmeg, and garlic, then reduce heat. Cover and cook until tender
- (If you wanted to sauté the garlic and onion to add a richer flavour at this point heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onions a and garlic and cook until tender)
- Combine the onions and garlic into the broth.
- Remove from heat and cool for few minutes.
- Place in blender and puree until smooth
- Stir in the creme fraiche (or other sort of creamer)
- Serve hot. Makes two servings.
Wanted to try a vegetarian chilli that uses firm tofu and replace the usual kidney beans with white beans instead. It was something I experimented with and turned out to be really easy to do. It provides three good servings and is a nice warm healthy meal.
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes.”
– Marcel Proust
Despite their small size, beans pack a surprisingly rich and varied array of substances that are vital for good health. White beans have a number of detoxifying enzymes, including aldehyde oxidase and sulfite oxidase. White beans are considered a low GI food. White beans and other foods with a low glycemic score also offer extraordinary weight loss benefits.White beans deliver a hefty supply of antioxidants, substances that fight off disease and help maintain optimum health.In addition to fighting wrinkles by providing skin-protecting antioxidants, white beans provide zinc, copper, and protein which can also help fight premature wrinkling of the skin.
All soya products, such as tofu and soy milk, are complete proteins. They contain all the essential amino acids plus several other nutrients. So combining tofu with the beans in the chilli complete a well balance meal.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 1 cartoon of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 can of haricot (navy) beans
- Remove tofu from packaging drain and press out all excess water
- Crumble/chop tofu into bits
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic,cook until transparent.
- Add the remaining ingredients (including the crumbled tofu) and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors have melded, about 30 minutes
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve
- Can garnish with creme fraiche, sour cream, cheese, or pair with some rice, potatoes, quinoa, vegetables, etc,
I do not eat meat often, but I had a guest around and needed to make a nice warm fulfilling meal. So i made this simple one dish meal. Did not make a mess and it doesn’t require absurd ingredients… just the basics. It is fresh and healthy. Plus meat every now and again is good for you.
Benefits of lean beef:
A health benefit of lean beef is that it can help you lower your cholesterol levels.
Lean meats are packed with important nutrients like B vitamins (niacin, thiamin, riboflavin and B6), which help the body’s metabolism, aid in red blood cell formation and play a vital role in our nervous system; iron, found particularly in red meat, helps maintain energy and carry oxygen through the bloodstream (and is especially important for teenage girls and women in their child-bearing years); magnesium, which is vital for building bones; and zinc, which is essential for our immune system.
The unbiased truth is that every body is different, so vegan, vegetarian , dieters, meat-lovers, etc just listen to your body.
250 g Sainsbury’s extra lean ground beef
1/2 chopped onion
1 garlic bulb
1/2 tablespoon mixed herbs
1 tablespoon chilli flakes
1 oxo beef cube
1 can kidney beans (do not drain the water)
1 cartoon/ 400g chopped tomatoes
Brown the meat (did not have to drain the fat as i got extra lean)
Add the chopped onions, garlic, mixed herbs, and chilli flakes (could add more or less to taste, and even add other spices if wanted). Let absorb into meat for a minute.
Now combine the kidney beans (do not drain the water) and chopped tomatoes.
I add the oxo beef cube with just enough water to dissolve the cube (maybe 1/2 cup)
Lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes (or for however long you like).
Then its ready to serve.
Can be paired with a potato, rice, vegetable, etc.
This is a one pot dish that will make enough to serve at least 3 good portions
Want a quick Alkaline lunch that taste nice, very healthy and flavourful. So this is a perfect simple thing to do at university. First heat a tablespoon cold pressed olive oil, then add a chopped up beef tomato, let heat up in pan till tender for about 5 mins. Then added 1/2 cup of water plus some fresh herbs. Once the water has been absorbed I added more (to desired consistency) then let simmer until tender. I used a spiralizer for the zucchini and then boiled them for 2 minutes. Voila!!
It is so versatile and can add more spices to taste.
Low carb chicken curry
- chicken breast, diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 med onion, sliced
- 1 can light coconut milk
- curry spices
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt (optional)
Fry onions in the oil with curry spices and garlic for 3-4 mins. Add chicken. Fry for until cook. Add coconut milk. Cover and let simmer over med heat until the sauce thickens If you wanted it thicker can stir in yogurt if desired.
Note: You can add veggies, into the curry at the point you put in the coconut milk, but we wanted ours steamed on the side.
Once cooked can serve with veggies and rice (white rice, bulgur wheat, brown rice- all depending on taste, diet requirements, convince, etc)
There is a beautiful saying in India’s ancient Vedic tradition: “If you want to recreate the world, look at it with fresh eyes.”
Are you always wondering what the difference is between cottage pie and shepherds pie, well here you go: Cottage Pie uses Minced Beef, Shepherds Pie uses Minced Lamb.
I make cottage pie as I find my family prefer minced beef and we usually by 12% fat or less.
I made two versions one is a simple cottage pie with mash potatoes (right). Then the other (left) I used the minced beef, but it is topped with cauliflower mash instead of potatoes for a low carb options.
This is a very simple recipe par-cook your cauliflower, then place in food processor then add salt and pepper or any other seasoning to your taste. At this point you can add butter or cream cheese (all depending on desires), could add a dash of milk (or milk alternatives-soy milk). You then puree it in the food processor or use a masher until you get the consistency of mash potatoes. You place on top of your cooked mince meat and could sprinkle some cheese on it then pop it into the pre heated oven of 350 and let bake for about 30-45 minutes (everything is cooked just getting things to toast).
Doing cottage pie is such an easy dish to please everyone, it can feed a lot and it is easy to make it healthy for those who are watching what they are eating.
“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. ” —Joseph Campbell